INES – National Institute of Science and Technology for Software Engineering

RSS feed


December 2021
« Nov    

  • Social Networks as a Knowledge Management Tool for Software Development

    Publicado em June 30th, 2009About the Institute

    On enterprises, a change also called the thrid industrial revolution is happening. This change represents a turn to the knowledge based economy, where knowledge is the most important asset, surpassing traditional resources like earth, capital and work. This collective knowledge and its management contribute the a continued improvement of productivity, raising the enterprise competitiveness.

    Knowledge comes from the environment, because it comes form interaction between people and this environment, modifying both during these interactions. Knowledge resides on the mind, behaviour, perception and interaction of people, which is called tacit knowledge. The knowledge which is easily captured, formalized and documented is called explicit knowledge. In general, knowledge management processes focuses on explicit knowledge, which represents only 10% to 20% of all enterprise knowledge. The other 80% to 90% os knowledge is tacit and can not be processed by traditional information systems.

    Social networks are tools that help to manage explicit knowledge, and also support people interaction. Because they are usually informal, non-structured and non-hierarchized, the information and knowledge lifecycle allows the social network members to express themselves in a really natural way, reducing the existing barriers of formalizing knowledge.

    This project has as main objective to provide the needed mechanisms for using social networks environments as the main Knowledge Management Tool for enterprises and its software development projects. Aiming to achieve this goal, a social networks platform will be extended in order to provide the criation and management of software development projects. Knowledge Management processes will be researched and adapted to help defining a process which fits better to the proposed domain. In addition, a set of metrics and tools will be proposed, implemented, deployed and analysed in order to better support the defined process and evaluate its efficiency.

    , , , ,